Sunday, August 5, 2012

Me Bags: A Great Ice Breaker / Getting To Know You Activity to Start the Year

Two days ago I posted some advice for the beginning of the school year.
It's obvious that we're almost there, tomorrow is my final day of vacation. One of my favorite "getting to know you" activities is called "Me Bags." This is a simple show and tell formatted activity where each student has the opportunity to share 5 items of personal significance.

The actual way I do this is, I share my "Me Bag" on the first day of school, then I hand out the homework assignment to them, and they have to present theirs the next day. I like doing this for a number of reasons. It's a good way for the students to get to know me right there on the first day. It's also a great opportunity for me to see who puts the effort into returning with their homework the following day, following all directions. The sooner I can find out who my apathetic homework students are, the better.

I set aside large chunks of time the second day of school so that each student can present their bags to the class.

I have written up the sheet that I will send home the first day. You can access it below.

"ME BAGS" HANDOUT (pdf format)

1 comment:

  1. As a student teacher in Mr.B's class, I enjoyed sharing my "Me Bag" with the class and in return, learning about their individual interests as well. It really helped me to tailor lessons to their interests by giving examples they would find interesting or could relate to.

    ReplyDelete

All comments on this blog will be moderated, please stay on topic and refrain from using profanity. Spam will simply be ignored.